Tuesday 2 February 2016

Visits and Keeping It Together

(From February 2)

UGH friends, I promise that I haven’t abandoned you!!! My homestay has no WiFi, and the school’s WiFi is quite fickle. For instance, I brought my laptop yesterday to post my blog from two days ago, but WiFi only worked on phones. So, I brought my phone today in order to get connected—but only laptops connected today.

It doesn’t make any sense, I know, so please don’t ask me to explain.

It’s been a long couple of days. Getting used to a new bed (which Sally and I share), new sounds and sights, a new neighborhood… It’s exhausting. Couple that with school hours of 9 AM to 5 PM, and you’ve got yourself a tired Aubs falling asleep during guest lectures.

I sucked up my exhaustion to explore the street markets yesterday with a few friends. I bought myself a couple of items, and also bought gifts for some family… (looking at you, Si and Grams!!!)
More fun than the actual buying was watching Caitlin haggle. Vendors would insist that a frock be sold for 800 rupees (about $12). Caitlin would look them straight in the eye and say, “200.”
They would act appalled, shocked, disturbed, angered, and the entire time, Caitlin would look at them with cold, heartless eyes.

I even got a little bit uncomfortable during some of her bargaining, thinking that these obviously were worth more than $2.50, but guess what—after a few shops, she got them down to 200 rupees.

Also in exciting news—I took my first bucket shower yesterday!! WOW! Instead of standing underneath a wasteful flood of water from a shower nozzle, I went the ~Indian way~ and filled a giant bucket with hot water and used a tiny small cup to actually wash myself. I was worried it would be cold, or inconvenient, or difficult, but I actually didn’t mind it at all. 10/10 would recommend again (especially if that’s the only way to get flicks of cow poop off of your feet).

Last night, after another scrumptious dinner by Host Mother Shiman, Sally and I settled into the couch to watch the Discovery Channel show called “Belief,” narrated by the one and only Oprah. The show uses case studies around the world to display global religions and faith systems. It’s a fascinating show, and I really enjoyed it, but even cooler than the actual show was realizing how blessed I’ve been to visit so many of the sites they display!! Flashes of the Wailing Wall, Dome of the Rock, and Indian Hindi festivals felt familiar, while photos of Christ the Redeemer excited me for next month’s travels. I continue to be awed by the incredible fortune I’ve been lucky enough to stumble upon in my ability to travel and explore. The hard work, love, and support of my parents, my Israeli host family, my grandmother, my sisters, my friends who encouraged me to take a chance, follow my wanderlusting itch, and study abroad… I would have neither the bravery nor the foundation of love necessary to achieve my dreams without all of you. I don’t know what I’d do without you.

Even though I’m kind of finding out.

I have to admit, I’ve been a sourpuss these past two days. The struggles with internet, my inability to take advantage of the texting plan that my parents bought me, my “off-the-grid” status from 5 PM to 9 AM... People probably think I’m a spoiled brat.

But honestly, it’s not about social media, or planning trips, or even following the results of the Iowa caucus. I’m just absolutely desperate to be in touch with my family. Being in such an unfamiliar, overwhelming, shocking place in conjunction with the isolation from my loved ones (physically, verbally, etc. etc. etc.) is breaking me down, man. I’m kind of a mess. I’m seriously doing my best to hold it together, but I’m only myself when I have access to my fam. Probs because I need their constant teasing and ridicule to keep my head from getting too big (only partially kidding). I really do miss them, though. Hoping that communications improve and that I’m able to get ahold of them soon.

Today, I visited a public school on the outskirts of Ahmedabad. It was absolutely heartbreaking. Located less than a half-mile from a trash-burning dumpsite, the school is regularly unattended due to the constant illnesses of the children because of the heavy pollution. In the “backyard” of the school is another trash-sorting dump site, and murders take place often in the streets between the school and the children’s homes.

How does one emotionally and mentally comprehend the tragedy of such a situation? How can I even begin to understand the hardships a fourth grader has to endure in order to sit down in a classroom when her mother and father work as contracted laborers and may not make enough money for her dinner? How does a fourth-grade boy function in an academic setting when his entire family has been uprooted from its home due to government rezoning and placed in a slum forty minutes away? Comparisons are impossible; I find myself standing in shock and disbelief, desperate to think of a solution. What can be done? How can I help? What can I do?

At the beginning of our program, we were told that we would be shielded from dangerous things but not from disturbing things. I have come to understand what that means. I know that it is for the best. I know that I’m learning lessons and meeting people that will forever imprint themselves on my mind when I make decisions in my career and personal life. I continue to believe that individuals can make a difference: for example, we met a woman today who began her own informal school called “Slum Shine” that meets on the side of the street in completely impoverished areas and teaches children that may not otherwise have access to education.

How can one not believe in miracles and goodness and action when one hears a story like that?

So, despite the hardship and despite my discomfort and despite my lack of access to WiFi, I am glad I am here. This is, for the moment, the place and the program and the mindset in which I belong.
Ending on a ~cool~ note: this past summer in Israel, I read a few books (historical fiction, non-fiction, the Bible, everything!) set in Israel or about the country. It was absolutely one of the coolest things about my experience. I felt immersed in the culture and history; I would read a passage about a Jerusalem marketplace while settling in at my rooftop hostel overlooking the Dome of the Rock and feel completely at one with my world. SO, I decided to do the same thing here! Shoutout to JStodds (aka my dad) for finding one incredible novel about each of the countries to which I’ll be travelling. I’ve started with Midnight’s Children by Salman Rushdie, a novel set in the early years of Indian independence (1947 onwards). I’ve already noticed that words from the book are tossed around in daily life, and that the information I learn in classes directly contributes to my understanding of the novel’s background. It’s basically the coolest thing I’ve ever done.

Tonight, Sally and I will be finishing some homework (maybe) and watching TV and reading (way more likely). Hope that all of you have had a fabulous few days!

Finding my way,

AubStod

1 comment: