Monday 21 March 2016

100

RIOOOOO! Spring break is wonderful, relaxing, amazing, awesome. So far, it's honestly been everything I've needed!

Yesterday, we woke up around 11 AM--late, since we decided to crash a hotel party on Saturday night and needed to rest up. We dressed quickly, and I donned my California-summer attire for the first time in much too long!!! (aka a bathing suit top and flowy skirt)

We visited this cool hippie market with lots of souvenirs and crafts, but I was too distracted by the crash of the waves only a few streets away to focus too hard on bargaining and shopping.

After just a few hours, though, my greatest desire was fulfilled--WE WENT TO THE BEACH. (Ipanema, to be exact.) The beaches are completely filled with Speedo-clad men and thong-bikini-clad women. Umbrellas cover the sand, and it's almost harder to find a sunny spot than it is a shady one! We laid out, though, and finally got some nice color (I mean, red is technically a COLOR). The water was perfectly chilly and crisp, refreshing us whenever we jumped in for a dip. There are also these vendors that walk up and down the beach, between the sun-bathers, selling everything from caipirinhas to bathing suits to acai bowls. It's really cool that you don't even have to get up from your towel in order to enjoy some refreshments! We enjoyed the sun and heat and shouts of the vendors for about three hours before settling onto a ledge for a view of the stunning sunset.


I mean, it's honestly difficult to wow me--I'm from California, sunset destination of the world--but I was pretty impressed. 

We showered and relaxed before eating a delicious Italian dinner and bonding with a really cute dog on the sidewalk (k, the last one was 80% me). We also really enjoyed the cool architecture that actually reminds me a lot of New Orleans with its bright colors and iron-wrought balconies.


While Jenn and Sally set off for a walk around Copacabana Beach, I pled out and settled into bed, savoring air conditioning for the first time in a full month.

This morning, we woke up around 9 AM in order to meet Taku and Michael for a tour of central Rio. I think I learned more from my Sao Paulo tour a few weeks ago, but seeing some beautiful buildings in Rio and enjoying a quick refresher of Brazilian history was pretty cool.


We also loved seeing these colorful steps towards the end of the tour that include tiles from multiple cities/states/countries around the entire world!
better pics on their way via Taku's camera

I couldn't find one from Anaheim, but I did find one from San Francisco, one from India, and one from Cape Town! V cool.

Then... off to our most exciting destination... Christ the Redeemer!!! EEP!

Due to some confusion, we bought tickets for a tram ticket for the ride an hour and a half later than we desired. However, thanks to Sally's awesome persistence and sunny attitude, we jumped on a way earlier tram and sped up to Cristo Redentor.

We soared above the city (2300 feet, to be exact) and were in all honesty more wowed by the view than by the statue itself.

the view

the statue + the best view of all (me)

Okay, in complete and total honesty, this is the only "wonder of the world" that I've visited that I haven't been in complete and total wonder of. Like we saw it and marveled for a few minutes and then were like...


Seriously though, with the other three wonders of the world that I've seen, I've been overwhelmed with awe. They've been amazing. But I really cannot figure out why the third-largest Jesus statue in the world is one of the Wonders... If you find out, pls lmk.

After more enjoyment of the views of the city and ocean, we hopped in a cab back to Ipanema. We enjoyed one of the best burgers in my entire life with guava ketchup (which was unbelievable!!!) then came back to the room to relax. I've been enjoying Veep (my new fave show, thanks to SalGal) and chilling out with the girls.

Even though this has been a rather tame post, I have some exciting news for you... This is my hundredth post on Wanderlust! Covering my adventures in seven different countries in four different continents, over the course of about seven months, this blog has kept me sane/connected to home/accountable to my own expectations of adventure/overjoyed. There have been days in which I've felt that if I didn't write, I'd go absolutely crazy. I've loved writing these blogs, knowing that loved ones back home are reading them and keeping up with me. There have been days in which I think, "if I don't explore today, I'm not going to have anything to write about!!"--so I push myself to break through any lethargy, or homesickness, or sadness to try out that museum, or that beach, or that new city. And finally, brainstorming and using silly gifs and pouring out my emotions has made me blissfully, wonderfully, undeniably happy. Both writing and travelling the world have been distant, seemingly impossible, wishes of mine since I was just a little girl, and here I am, fulfilling both at the age of nineteen. My internship and this program have been the journeys of a lifetime, and I don't want you to think for even a moment that I take them for granted or forget how lucky and blessed and grateful I am. My adventures--and this blog--are literally dreams come true. Thank you all so, so much, for joining me. I am so appreciative of every single one of you. 

Cheers to 100. And here's to hundreds more.


Aubrey Noelle

No comments:

Post a Comment