Sunday 13 March 2016

Babies, Boston Bakery, and LOLLA BRASIL!!!

I always intend to write a post every day during the weekends, but I always end up getting distracted and having MUCH too much fun until I scramble to transcribe all of the memories on Sunday night.

But what a weekend to remember! A late start to classes on Friday allowed for restful sleeping in and three snoozed alarms as I tried over and over to wake up for an early workout. Though I eventually got to that exercise, it took me a few hours to get to that point. Up to then, I was doing--


--while dozing. YAWN.

The three hours of class that we had on Friday felt way more like the college norm that I've gotten used to back at school. Sally and I skidaddled back home and I enjoyed the beautiful sunset views before we headed to a host family get-together.

Because I'm a loser, here are some sky pics.

breathtaking

you can see the sun, moon, clouds, and sunset, OMG

For the first time, the entire host fam was together--including my host mom, Maria, my host sisters Liza and Lara (wahoo, the Australian is home!), my host niece, Maria Luisa, and my roommate, Sam!! I loved introducing them to all of my friends and showing off the adorable Maria Luisa to every single person. THAT'S RIGHT LOSERS, I GET TO LIVE WITH THE MOST ADORABLE BABY IN THE WORLD.

sucks for all of your boring homestayzzz

We ate delicious homemade Brazilian food, enjoyed conversation starters (and I almost understood some of the Portuguese answers!!!), and chilled out.

I honestly continue to be amazed by humans' ability to communicate even without common verbal language. Deciphering tone, watching subtle facial expressions, reading gestures... It's so cool to converse with other and find that I understand their points and ideas even without completely understanding every word that is said.

Anyway, here's the adorable host fam.

#girlpower, am i right?

Though most of my peers chose to head out to some bars and clubs in order to rageeeee, I accurately assessed my energy store for the weekend and chose to get right to sleep. Because Saturday was...... LOLLAPALOOZA!!!!!!

this is from Lolla Brasil 2013, weeee

After dressing in my most ~hippie~ attire for the "Woodstock of our generation" (trademarked by Sally Lindsay), I dragged my group of amazing friends to a brunch place called Boston Bakery. 

awhhh!

Like duh, I chose it, because underneath my rowdy and loud disgust for Bahston, maybe at heart, my soul leaps a little when I see this--


The restaurant had salads named after Boston schools and paninis named after famous Boston locations, and I almost cried looking at all of the incredible Bostonian decor. Sally, a born-and-bred New Yorker, showed some slight disgust for the Red Sox jersey framed next to our table that swelled from minor disdain to outspoken, loudly yelled loathing for the city and the baseball team. By the end of our visit, Sally had snagged the jersey and laid it on the ground, "where it deserves."

From brunch, we hopped in an Uber to get to the Lolla racetrack. The drive, which took a legitimate hour, actually was pretty fun. Our driver allowed us to blast American music and jam out while yelling lyrics wholeheartedly. The highlight of our ride was singing alongside a car full of Brazilians, also heading to Lolla and listening to the same radio station!!! We met them for real after both of our drivers pulled over for a quick bathroom break.

flower crowns are an international phenomenon

The concert was unbelievable. We watched Of Monsters and Men, Halsey, Mumford and Sons, Die Antwoord (which was literally a nightmare--like I actually thought I had fallen asleep and entered an evil unconscious world), and Marina and the Diamonds (LOVE THEM). In Sally's words, which I keep stealing because they're beautiful, it was a generational odyssey. I felt like I was floating on the lyrics of my favorite songs.

And here are some pics!

flower crown and flash tat--a true festival attendee

Mumford and Sons!

me and bestpalsalgal

so close to Marina's stage!!!

the cover for our next album

In our state of music-induced joy, we decided that we could handle taking public transportation back to our homes. It took two hours, but hey, we handled it pretty well. Not having a seat on the subway back after hours of standing at a music festival was only this frustrating--

kind of kidding

Sally and I stuffed our faces with leftover dinner at 1 AM upon our return home and promptly passed out.

I woke up this morning feeling completely refreshed but with a swollen ankle due to an unfortunate meeting between my leg and a slamming car door (ouch). I iced it with the Brazilian version of frozen peas, aka a bag of pre-made pao com queijo (bread with cheese). I spent the entire day--ENTIRE DAY--reading, doing homework, and watching numerous Netflix movies.


Honestly, though I had the opportunity to attend a fascinating political street protest--which I absolutely know I would have loved--I'd basically depleted my ability to withstand crowds, loud noises, and walking for the weekend, so I decided to chill with bebe Maria Luisa for the afternoon.

Seriously, what a fantastic weekend. I loved being with my friends, with my host family; I loved enjoying the gorgeous weather and wearing a fun 60's inspired outfit and wrapping myself in the festival music; I adored my freedom and independence and my late teens/early twenties euphoria. My past few months have felt like the epitome of my youth, the physical manifestation of a fulfilled wanderlust, and the breathless wonder of appreciating the world. GOD I'M SO HAPPY!

...... Just remembered I have class tomorrow and that I have to make a presentation.


Dangit.

Well... Good night, mah dears.


Peace, love, soul,
Aubrey Noelle

No comments:

Post a Comment