Friday 29 May 2015

And So It Begins...

Two weeks. Fourteen days. Three hundred and thirty six hours. From the moment I hopped off the plane at LAX to join my family to the moment I waved goodbye with blurry, tear-filled eyes, I had almost exactly two weeks. My time back home in California was--as it always is--incredible. Seeing friends, family, the beach, and my dogs refreshed my exhausted mind and soul and replenished my eagerness to see more of the world.

I landed in Toronto, Canada, a few hours ago and began my 10.5 hour layover (!!!) and my wait for my second red-eye flight in just 24 hours.

Projected future for Aubrey at her internship in two days

I didn't want to just sit in an airport and twiddle my thumbs for half a day, so I decided to explore the city of Toronto. But even a layover in a country only a few hundred miles from the United States can teach a newbie world-traveler quite a few things.

I've already learned that there are certain moments in travelling in which you are struck by the depth of your own conceit. My own moment occurred as I pondered how bizarre it must be for Canadians to have American presidents on their dollars--until I realized with a sudden flash of dread that Canadian dollars were probably significantly different from American dollars. A rush to the nearest currency exchange stand confirmed my ignorance.

Isn't that strange, though? I had not even realized until I arrived that I'd always assumed American and Canadian dollars were the same exact thing. Basically, travelling makes you feel like an absolute fool 99% of the time until you can come back to your home state or country and act worldly, wise, and not at all an imbecile.

I've also accepted that I will have to ask (literally) hundreds of questions a day if I want to eat, move around, and survive abroad. I think that my father has had a profound impact on my willingness to ask and my appreciation for questions. He has a thirst for knowledge and tidbits that is unmatched. Whether he is asking to hear the Uber driver's life story or the origin of the grocery checker's accent, he is always hunting for new information. He embodies the "learn something new every day" mentality, and I plan to emulate him this summer.

I rode on a commuter train downtown and found that the outskirts of Toronto exude a natural beauty that I've never seen on the borders of American cities. the green foliage and winding rivers are offset by dingy concrete and brick office buildings. Excepting the occasional glimpse of untouched wild, the suburbs of Toronto are all but indistinguishable from those of New England.

I probably could not ask for a better place to layover. A different country that still feels close to home. It should give me some time to adjust to the different languages, the different expectations, and the reminder that I won't be stepping foot on American soil for another three and a half months.

I have about four hours left before I have to make my way back to the airport, so I'll probably grab some lunch and walk around the city. And MAYBE, if I muster up the courage, I'll even check out the 147-floor CN Tower...



WOAH.

Signed,
World Traveler Aubs


No comments:

Post a Comment