Sunday 31 May 2015

Exploring Tel Aviv

After waking up to my first full day in Israel, I grabbed an avocado, an apple, and some Nutella for breakfast and brought my book outside to read in a quaint, pretty gazebo--

It's out of a fairy-tale!

Also known in Aubrey World as heaven

In the afternoon, Esther (my host mother), her daughter, Nava, and I went into the city of Tel Aviv for a cultural adventure. Also known in Aubrey World as a freaking dream come true. We had some delicious lunch, and I even learned my first Hebrew word--"toda" or "please." Esther assured me I pronounced it "beautifully," so basically, I speak Hebrew now.

Tried to figure out how to put an animated yamaka on her head, but I don't have nearly enough technological prowess.

My impressions of Tel Aviv: it definitely is a "city" by any standard, but it felt really small. Geographically, it spans a pretty sizeable area in Los Angeles fashion, and the buildings absolutely soar, but there just weren't that many people. I guess I'm kind of a traffic snob coming from the land of the 405, but it truly just felt like driving through a slightly crowded suburb. A lot of the buildings are painted concrete in colors of cream and light yellow, but a few glass skyscrapers are starting to sprout. Tel Aviv is this incredible juxtaposition of antiquated apartment complexes with fading, chipped facades and modern businesses and government buildings that span the geometrical gamut.

The view from lunch

We picked up Ariella and went to explore the cutest little neighborhood in Tel Aviv called Neve Tzedek. The Mediterranean influences were evident in the pastel colors and the chill, outdoorsy vibe of the streets and buildings. But you could definitely sense the Middle Eastern-ness in the style of the homes and the patches of rich, caramel-colored soil.

Welcoming store fronts

I love this picture--the clothes hanging out on the line and the vines snaking across the balcony

We went inside a few cute boutiques with jewelry and light, flowing, colorful clothing. Esther told me that there are absolutely no department stores in Israel. No Nordstrom's, no T.J. Maxx, not even a Target.

I know, Kristen Wiig, I know.

A lot of shopping is done at these small, non-chain businesses, which is actually kind of cool! The stores were out of my price range (I like to spend max ten bucks on any article of clothing), but the prices were nothing like what you would see in an independent store back home. All of the dresses and jewelry were very affordable and extremely chic. 

So many colors!!
Two-story boutique

Almost all of the doorways in Israel have little rectangular boxes on them, like this:


These boxes contain scrolls with Old Testament verses on them, and as a Jewish person enters a room or building, he or she is supposed to kiss his or her fingers and touch the scroll. This is actually given as a command in the Torah! It's so fascinating, because in America, we pride ourselves on the separation of church and state. We love that our own religion and the religion of our neighbors can be different, and we will (or at least, should) not experience any sort of difference or discomfort in daily public life. However, one of Israelis' favorite qualities about their nation is the intertwining of Judaism and the government. Even though 80% of residents are not religious, the Jewish faith pervades every storefront, every street, and every doorway.

My first day on the job is tomorrow--so exciting and nerve-wracking! Wish me luck

Signed,
(practically a) Tel-Aviv native Aubs 





No comments:

Post a Comment