Saturday 30 May 2015

I'M HERE!

I'm here! I'm here! I'm in ISRAEL! It's still a little surreal, but I think that's what back-to-back red eye flights and a time change of 10 hours does to one's head. This post will probably be more of an incoherent ramble than an eloquent depiction of my entry into the cradle of Christianity, but cut me some slack!

My flight was uneventful; I even had a window seat and peeked out over the ocean and Europe as the plane flew in. I spotted the stunning Israel through the clouds about 10 minutes out of the airport.


LOOK AT THAT! Wow! I'll be swimmin' around in the Mediterranean in the next few days. ALSO, turns out my internship location, IDC Herzliya (the university in that city) is right on the best beach in Israel. Looks like my lunch breaks will be taking place on the shores of the Mediterranean Sea . Watch out Sisi--I'm coming back tanner than you!

Getting through the passport checking part of the airport (customs? I think?) was very uneventful--but still so scary! It's like when a cop starts driving behind you and you know without a doubt that everything you're doing is legal, but your stomach still knots up. Like yeah, I'm from America and I'm working at the Institute of Counter-Terrorism BUT WHAT IF I ACCIDENTALLY SMUGGLED A BOMB IN. 
Customs Lady: What are you here for?
Me:


But I didn't. All is well.

I ended up taking a taxi with a random Israeli guy in his twenties that was headed in the same direction--and thank god I did. Taxi prices are apparently haggled over, and I am the worst negotiator in the world. You might at first think this is surprising if you know my mother well; she is one of the best hagglers I've ever seen. She basically has shopkeepers begging to pay her to take their stuff by the end. However, in the end, it makes a lot of sense that a daughter of my mother's would be terrible at haggling--can you imagine trying to negotiate with Sabrina?

Me: Hey Mom, can I stay out til midnight tonight?
Mom: Be back at 11. 
Me: 11:30?
Mom:
Me: You know what, Ima be back at 10.

Anyways, my Israeli bud haggled the price down to half of what I would have had to pay, which was great. My taxi driver drove me around the city a little so I could get a taste of where I'll be living for three and a half months.
Cute little peacock bush things

I arrived at the home of my host family around 11 AM and met the wife, husband, and their six children, three of whom are my age. They are the sweetest people ever, and the house is stunning. 

Awhh!!

Lunch was a delicious medley of pasta, vegetarian sushi, and other yummy things. I joined in their tradition of washing my hands with a cool cup thing then blessing the bread. Basically, I'm Jewish now. But seriously, I'm totally planning on immersing myself in the lifestyle; I won't be scared to try new things, whether that be food or tradition or language! I'm more than prepared to make a fool of myself and mess up few times to get the true experience!

So, the family I'm staying with is Orthodox, which means that on Saturdays, they do not use electricity, write things down, drive, etc. It was actually pretty cool--the entire family just hung out and talked, and neighbors stopped by periodically to chat. Such an open, chill, enjoyable atmosphere. I got to talk with them about Israel and about Harvard. It was really lovely.

After a nap that was much too long, I ate dinner and got froyo with Arielle, one of their amazing daughters. Now, I'm settling into bed to sleep for about 20 hours. 

I mean, I guess I can live here for a few months. (or forever)

I can't believe it. I'm in ISRAEL. I'm an hour away from Jerusalem. I'm an hour plane ride from Greece. I'm HERE. 










No comments:

Post a Comment