Tuesday 2 June 2015

Locate Your Nearest Bomb Shelter

Today was an incredibly eventful day. I woke up extra early in order to allow myself time to locate the central bus station and buy my monthly bus pass. I screenshotted my public transportation directions and made my way to the bus. I climbed on, settled into my seat, and nervously looked for the street names of the station at which I'd be exiting. After an uneventful trip that ended exactly where I needed to be, I realized that I'll be coming back home with a completely altered outlook on life.

I am always unnecessarily concerned with the minor details of my life--the lost minute here or there as I stop to tie my shoe, the extra ten calories I consumed with my guilty pleasure of one french fry, the boy I fell in love with less that 24 hours after our first date. I allow myself to drown in the minutia, and I convince myself that every straw will be the one to break my back. However, after a few days of traversing a foreign country with signs in a language I don't understand, working at an internship that encourages me to see the larger picture of international conflict and alarmingly evil acts of terror, and using every day as a chance to explore, learn, and take mini leaps of faith, I already foresee a much more relaxed, optimistic, and roll-with-the-punches kind of Aubs. I'm excited for that!

I think that's my name in Hebrew??!!? I think??

I obtained my bus pass and encountered a slight bit of trouble trying to figure out the right bus for me to get on. But don't worry--I made my first Israeli friend!!! She even gave me her phone number in case I have any questions or want to talk to her!!! I'm so stoked; I'm basically a native.

Another crazy event today was the practice bomb siren. At exactly 11:05, a high-pitched wail sounded throughout the entire country of Israel. The drill was to replicate a three-pronged attack of rockets from Gaza, Syria, and Lebanon. I can't write too much info about it, because my poor mother reads this article, but if you aren't too concerned about my welfare, read this article on the necessity of bomb drills.

It was superbly sobering. When was the last time the mainlaind of America had to worry about rocket launches or a large-scale invasion (hijackings and smaller-scale terrorism aside)? It's been decades. And now I'm living in a place in which the location of the closest bomb shelter is the first thing you have to find out, and you have to be prepared to get to it in less than two minutes. The danger of an imminent terrorist attack is heavily and indelibly salient.  Men and women live in Israel only miles away from their ancient enemies; they live with constant fear but are always cultivating a sense of faith in their government, country, and religion; an allegiance to their fellow people; and an unwavering confidence in their right to exist and thrive.

Hopefully this works--this is a video of the campus during the siren

WHEW this has definitely been a heavy blog entry. But I'm already learning so much!! Time to unwind with some Bachelorette

Til next time,
Learning Life Lessons Aubs

1 comment:

  1. Ummm.... I can click on a link. But I'm not worried at all. No sir. Not a bit.

    ReplyDelete