Tuesday 26 January 2016

Ahmedabad, Here We Are.

I don't know what day it is, or what time it's supposed to be, or how exactly I'm going to remember not to rinse my toothbrush under the tap water, but I do know one thing--I'M IN INDIA!

I honestly feel like I've slept away my last two days, because of the dramatic time change and my unfortunate divorce from the sun during the entirety of Monday, January 25. I know that all of the rest will be worth it when I have the energy to explore the city tomorrow!

So, our group clambered onto the most GIGANTIC plane I have ever seen in my entire life at around 11:30 PM on Sunday, January 24th, EST. Seriously, every row held ten seats, and we were in the 82nd row on the first level of the plane! Insanity.

Anyways, I popped a melatonin pill as soon as I settled in and konked out for almost ten full hours (with little meal breaks, of course). We arrived in Dubai, UAE, at 10:30 PM (UAE time), Monday, January 25th. Because of our plane delay, we found ourselves rushing through the Dubai airport in order to reach our connecting flight.

Although many of us had secretly hoped we'd miss our flight so that we'd have the opportunity to explore Dubai, we were all pretty relieved to actually make the flight once we realized how exhausted we were! It was pretty insane--the workers at this airport barely even glanced at my passport as I rushed through security and onto the plane. I wonder if that's the nature of being in a large, relatively "safe" group. Better than being categorized as a 5 on the Israeli "danger" scale of 1-6!!

After a two hour flight, we finally arrived in INDIA!!!! at 3:00 AM local time, Tuesday, January 27th. I essentially lost my Monday!!! We were so disoriented upon our arrival, but the group managed to get through immigration (another stamp, yay!), security, baggage claim, and another security check. Our country coordinators for the program met us at the airport and shepherded us onto a coach bus that would drive us to our hotel.

Driving through the streets of Ahmedabad, India, at 5 AM was absolutely enthralling. I don't think I'll ever get used to or tired of the "newness" of travelling. Whether it's Israel, or Costa Rica, or India, the first drive through a country thrills and enchants. I felt myself soaking in the views of the city with my parched, dry mind; I drank in the sights, scarcely blinking in the fear that I'd miss something.

The world flashed by, with only momentary glances to capture the essence of the city. Shanty-towns of plastic tents set up on medians and in parks, with small fires to warm the slumberers. Newspaper deliverymen sitting cross-legged on the sidewalks, folding their wares in preparation for morning. Dogs (!!!!) roaming the streets in search of food. I couldn't get enough.

We arrived at the hotel around 6 in the morning and divided into rooms of six people each. The hotel is pretty stunning--it's set up suite style with kitchens, bathrooms, and quaint bedrooms in each "room." We decided to stay up for another hour in order to watch the stunning sunrise--


And chow down on a delicious Indian breakfast.

After eating our fill, we promptly went upstairs for a "nap" and slept from 8:45 AM to 3 PM.

It was glorious.

We woke up yawning to some commotion at our door--one of the host family's daughters had come to introduce herself to us and get to know us! Vishma is extremely sweet and is actually going to be Caitlin's host sister--so I'm sure I'll be seeing her all the time.

After another meal of incredible Indian food, Caitlin and I wandered outside to see how beautiful the weather is. Here's a hint--it's perfect. My frozen hell of two weeks has been rewarded with balmy weather in the 80's, and I could not be happier.

We turned the street corner to check out the monkeys about which we'd heard stories. Oh my god--they're huge. Like, not ape size or anything, but definitely the size of a small child. There were about a dozen of them inhabiting the front yard of the home next to our hotel. It was freaking nuts!!! We watched for about two minutes--until some of the monkeys legit started screaming at us and chasing us. I'm not ashamed to say I may have pushed Caitlin towards the monkeys in order to give myself a head start in sprinting away.

If you look closely, you can see that the monkey in the forefront is holding a little baby!
Throughout the day, we saw plenty more wildlife. There were chipmunks that legitimately jumped onto us; cows (COWS) that roam the streets (seriously--they're just walkin' in the road); peacocks; and a multitude of birds. No mosquitos, though--yet!!!

After lunch, we were treated to a beautifully touching welcome ceremony in which we were given a bindi (the red dot on the forehead), a gorgeous floral necklace, and a shower of pink flower petals, after which we lit a scented candle. It was such a stunning way to be welcomed into India and into our first country.


We had about an hour and a half of introductions and question and answer, and then a group of us(of which I am a part) gave an hour-long presentation and discussion on some readings. Yeah--a graded presentation. Sometimes, it can be difficult to remember that I'm technically in class!

After a quick dinner, we all retreated upstairs to get some rest. I, for one, am practically delirious from exhaustion--but honestly, what's new. Tomorrow will be an absolute adventure, as we are exploring the Old City of Ahmedabad. While I'm still slightly in shock and disbelief, it's just beginning to sink in--I'm in INDIA!!!!

Stoked as can be,
Aubrey

PS thanks for getting through my word-dense post--hopefully when I'm less exhausted, I can write posts with way more pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment