Friday 22 January 2016

Psych

You might think it's my last day in the states, that I'm packing up all of my belongings, and that I'm reminiscing on how much I'm going to miss the United States.

But alas...


Nope. Winter Storm Jonas is hurtling towards New York and threatens to drop 12-18 inches of snow by Sunday morning. Which means... Our flight has been cancelled, and I'll be stuck in New York City until Monday, or even TUESDAY.

Other people are like,


But I'm feeling like,

why is this happening to me

Literally, I cannot handle this cold and winter and blizzard snow. How am I going to handle this?

... I mean that's rhetorical, because I love my fellow IHPers so much that I know their company and their amazingness will get me through this time.

Anyways, a summary of my last two days. Yesterday, my class visited Hudson Yards, a luxury development in Manhattan with apartments in the 8-digits--

the beautiful proposed Hudson Yards!!!

Their Vice President spoke with us for about an hour, and most of my classmates had some really pressing, intellectual, and critical questions about the impact this development would have on the city. Caitlin and I, on the other hand, were like--

where do we sign the lease???

Later that night, Caitlin, a bunch of friends, and I traipsed over to a laundromat to wash our clothing. It was a ~thrilling~ experience, especially as Caitlin and I had never actually been a laundromat before. The owners were half-intrigued, half-unamused with the antics of six random non-New Yorkers. 

Today was our final day of programming for New York. It included a trip down to Midtown East in Manhattan to a non-profit on the 19th floor of a beautiful building. We discussed our academic experiences over the last few weeks, and then presented some info on India--including a fun Bollywood dance. 

We had a delicious Italian farewell dinner and are now hunkered down in the hostel for the next day or two as the snow begins to fall. A bunch of us in the group spent the night dancing in the basement and having a fun time. 

I'm exhausted, so I'm wrapping this up quickly--but I'm very happy, very cozy, and feeling so loved. 

With my whole heart,
Aubrey

No comments:

Post a Comment