Tuesday 12 January 2016

It's Only Tuesday???!

What an exhausting day. Seriously, I have not had days this full of class-time and learning since high school. We spend about eight hours at least sitting and discussing extremely controversial, draining, and mentally-pressing issues.

But I digress. This morning, a bunch of us trekked over into Manhattan together and got to the center in time to gorge ourselves on bagels and cream cheese. Which, if you've never heard, are pretty freaking bomb in New York.

Maple walnut cream cheese AND chive cream cheese??!

At one point, I was going back for seconds (okay fine, thirds) and one of the faculty members tried to warn me to save some room for the upcoming lunch.

I laughed in her face.

my stomach is a vast void

We spent four hours of the afternoon studying in an anti-oppression workshop that, as you might imagine, left us all a bit shell-shocked. It was emotionally draining and kind of depressing, honestly. We were all ready for some relief after literal hours of discussion about heavy subjects.

SO, a few of us headed over to a free art gallery exhibit by Yoko Ono!!!

It was a fascinating interactive piece that allowed viewers to actually participate in creating the art. I felt very sophisticated and worldly, but all of my insight probably sounded like--


It was really cool, though, to get a taste of the readily available culture here in New York. Seriously, there are at least three art galleries on every block!

We then climbed up to the High Rise, which used to be an old train track that meandered above the Manhattan borough but has been converted into a hipster walkway with tons of nature, artwork, and sitting space. It allowed for a beautiful view of the city and more feelings of sophistication. 

After meeting up with some other students in the swanky, edgy Chelsea Market, which is a cute marketplace with independently-owned fusion and organic food places, we headed back to the hostel. A few girls and I actually went on a run (WOO) which not only completely refreshed and rejuvenated us after a long day inside but also vindicated my inhalation of a tub of cream cheese this morning.

I know this was pretty brief, but I just wanted to give some info on my day. Looking forward to a packed day tomorrow--will be in the classroom from 8:30 AM to 8:30 PM! 

Being reminded that studying abroad is not a vacation,
Tired Aubs

No comments:

Post a Comment