Wednesday 13 January 2016

The 12-Hour Day

Okay, I know I said yesterday was the most exhausting day of my life--but I take it back. TODAY was the most exhausting day of my entire life. Twelve consecutive hours of class, meetings, and transit. That's more time than a week of classtime that I usually have in college. Is that not absurd??? So you can probably understand why I am slightly too tired to provide an intense reflection of the last twenty-four hours--but I'll give ya some of my thoughts. (This will be a v writing-intensive post, so I won't blame you if you skip this one altogether.)

First, a goal that I came up with today. We discussed the topics of travel and privilege a lot today, an intersection of which I and my classmates will have to navigate with a lot of thoughtfulness and care. We will have to remain conscious and respectful of cultural difference. As true as that is, and as much as I desire and aim to maintain that respect, I also hope to keep my sense of self, equality, values, and beliefs, even when I'm confronted by cultures and practices that may challenge them. I think there's a difference between respecting other cultures and recognizing injustice, unfairness, and inequality. However--it'll probably also be a hard terrain to navigate. So yeah, wish me luck.

Another goal--to ask meaningful questions. I LOVE getting to know people through questions that are inviting and evocative and personal. I think it'll be easy for me to get nervous and uncomfortable in situations abroad, but I'm hoping to keep my sense of inquisitiveness and interest in others. 

I'm starting to get close to a few of the girls and guys on my trip, which is so exciting and relieving. I kind of assumed I'd make some friends, but I was of course scared I'd be a total longer and that I'd have no one to take Instagram pics of me. BUT not worrying about that anymore,

Okay, I know this was probs so boring and so dry, but I need to get back to watching Top Gun and chilling out and resting after this ridiculously long day. GOOD NIGHT.

Aubs

No comments:

Post a Comment