Wednesday 20 January 2016

Sit-Downs, Senior Citizens, and Smoothies

Remember how I told you the other day that I'm starting to get a handle on this whole 8-10 hour days? I take it back. By 3 o'clock this afternoon, I was like--


Regardless, I have learned so much in the past two days, and I feel evermore lucky to have been granted the opportunity to travel on this program. 

Yesterday, I started off the morning with a few other ladies in downtown Manhattan as we battled against the bitter wind and cold through -2 degree windchill to meet with a representative of Restaurant Opportunities Centers United. The cold had me like


and I complained quite extensively, I'll be honest. However, our meeting with the rep made the Arctic trek worth it. We learned about how 9/11 affected the restaurant industry, about the issues facing restaurant workers today, and about how New York City handles its restaurant business. Having worked at Jamba Juice as a service worker (though not quite a "tipped" worker), I found the conversation very interesting. It also reaffirmed my gratefulness for my prior experiences as a service worker, in addition to my former roles as housekeeper and tour guide. You learn so much about how to treat people through others' poor (or positive!) treatment of you. Plus, I can make a sick-ass Razzmatazz.

Speaking of Jamba Juice, I am pretty appalled at the food limitations I'll be experiencing in India. Because of the dangers of Indian water for Westerners without the bacteria to handle its effects, I will be unable numerous dishes and foods for the next month. No meat or fish; no thin-skinned fruits or vegetables; no dairy; no room-temperature or cold food.... I basically cannot eat. As a Californian, bred to enjoy kale, carnitas, and SMOOTHIES, I will probably have the most trouble attempting to adapt to such a strict diet. All of these East Coasters complain, and I'm like--


BACK TO NY: Immediately upon return from our labor site visit, we were told that we had to commence our discussions with other groups. Everyone else had been given about an hour to eat lunch and relax, while our distance from the meeting point, as well as our lengthy meeting, left us two minutes. I know this seems like it isn't a big deal, but when you're expected to be mentally engaged from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM, the loss of an hour-long lunch break can be practically equivalent to heartbreak. We were basically speed-eating like--


Anyways, for the next four hours, I was given a lot of information about housing in NYC and other topics that can sometimes be difficult to digest and can be especially difficult to examine critically without bias. Even though I have some (read: a plethora of) issues with Harvard and its educational system, one thing I can credit it for is its help in developing my ability to think critically. I'm usually pretty decent at assessing information given to me and analyzing its viability, biases, and potential shortcomings. Because of the "experiential" approach of my study abroad program and the fact that I am meeting with individuals outside of academia that have very clear personal goals and priorities (beyond that of simply providing an unbiased learning environment), I am consistently finding this skill to be crucial.

Too long, didn't read version: thanks for some things, Harv.

me @ Harvard

I get more and more excited about the potential of traveling with this incredible group of people the more time that I spend with them. Though I've only known them for a week, we've opened up to each other already about our hopes, dreams, goals, fears, personal faults, experiences, and even baby names. I am basically in love with the idea of globetrotting with the twenty-nine other students on this program. ILY @ all of ya.

Today was another insanely busy day. We began with a visit to NYCHA, aka New York City's Housing Authority. 

me and the seal for NYCHA!

One of my study abroad program's alumni actually gave us a fascinating presentation on the state of public housing in New York, and I was like super stoked about it. There was one point, however, that will forever live in my memory as a moment of absolute shame.

She asked how many years it had been since 1935 and I legitimately YELLED out, "79!!!!!"

I was all proud of my speedy math skills--

"I'm, like, kinda smart, guys."

And it took me a few seconds until I was like--

omg.

It's 81. Not 79. I am an idiot.

But like, it's totally fine. I have a calculator on my phone.

From our visit to NYCHA, a group of us started to wander through Manhattan to check out some historical sites and buildings. I was really excited, and my friends laughed at my antics, even as I tried to hold it in a little bit.

me when I saw the FBI building

Sally, a practically-native New Yorker, gave us a tour of the skyline, along with some information about the numerous city and federal buildings around us.

The glass building is the One World Trade Center

New York City's FBI building (woah)

We also checked out a stunningly touching memorial for New York African-American slaves. In the process of building City Hall only a few decades ago, developers encountered the remains of 419 enslaved men and women from the 17th and 18th centuries. The ground was consecrated as a memorial--a seriously stunning one. 


"for all those who were lost; for all those who were stolen, for all those who were left behind; for all those who were never forgotten."

about 5 burial mounds for the bodies

I was incredible touched by this memorial. Slavery and its aftermath hold not only my intense academic interest, but also a very personal investment, as I'm a descendant of Louisianan slaves. Memorials like this remind me of the resilience and fortitude and bravery of my ancestors, and the debt to which I owe their strength to live on and persevere.

We then walked over to the Brooklyn Bridge, which connects Manhattan to Brooklyn with a stunning view.

woah!

artsy, huh?

that's me

padlocks on the bridge--just like in Paris!

My group then hightailed it to Brooklyn for a meeting with Ridgewood-Bushwick Senior Citizens Center, an organization that assists seniors in finding affordable housing and meeting their basic and recreational needs. The breadth of this organization, its workers' dedication to not only the rights but also the joy and happiness of their clients, and the passion that the representatives brought to the meeting made me super excited. I'll be honest, though; about an hour and a half into the meeting, I found myself faltering a bit. Even though I'd had an ice cream cone right before entering--


I was experiencing a bit of a caffeine-deficiency. However, when one of the women mentioned that her niece would be attending Harvard this coming fall, I was like--

yay!

Immediate engagement. I love talking to future/potential Harvardians and giving them advice and excitement and reassurance. I was sure to pass along my email and promise information. 

From there, I trekked back to Queens for a dinner with some alumni. They asked us to introduce ourselves, and I swear this transaction took place.

Me, with my normal pep: Hi! My name is Aubrey, and I'm from Southern California--
Alumni, with slightly stony face: Oh, well then, I guess that explains all the smiling.

I was like--


And he was like--


And it basically just epitomized my experience in New England and the Northeast in general. I just do not fit in here.

The dinner was fantastic, though, and the awesome alumni gave us tons of advice and info and even added us on Snapchat.

I've been writing now for about an hour, and I should be doing a ton of homework and readings now, but meh. Though we were supposed to start at 10 AM tomorrow, our program director forgot to include a section of training in orientation, so we now are meeting at 9 AM instead. Literally all thirty of us looked like this upon hearing the news--


It was quite the moment of solidarity. So, since I'll be up and at it in approximately eight hours, I think it's about time for me to go to sleep. Love you all oh so much.

Keeping my Cali status,
Aubs

No comments:

Post a Comment