Friday 14 August 2015

Fifty and Food

It's officially my fiftieth post! Wahoo!!


When I began this blog two and a half months ago (to the day, almost), I doubted my ability to keep up with it and maintain regular posts; I've been able to write something at least once every other day. I'm proud of myself!


I love Shabbat, guys. Not just for the holiness or for the reflection, but for the food. 

Oh my goodness, Shabbat food is heavenly, even when I'm eating like a queen when the family is here. But now that I'm on my own... It's a gift from God. See, this is the first time basically ever that I've actually had to make food for myself. At Harvard, I have full meal service, and at home and with my host family, I am spoiled with delicious homemade food/In N Out (miss ya, babe).

But now, I am responsible for my own meals. And yes, the market is right down the street and I could order meals from restaurants that are five minutes away, but I kind of like challenging myself to this game of, "how long can I survive on what is in the fridge?"

My dad always told my sisters and I those "back in my day" stories which usually evoked reactions like this:


and he reminisced on existing on cottage cheese and tuna and ketchup... in one dish...


But now... I'm following in my father's "food"steps. Cutting off the moldy parts of carrots, concocting sauces from balsamic vinaigrette, olive oil, and black pepper--I'm a master.

*Almost* what I look like in the kitchen

I eat my fill, then I wonder how much longer I have until my Shabbat dinner.

It was literally like 11 AM. Shoot


I sat by the clock, like


for hours, yelling at the TV when Army Wives tried to pull some ridiculous deaths on me (how dare you do that to Jeremy? How DARE you?) and finally headed to Goody and Eric's home for a delicious Shabbat with unbelievably hilarious and engaging company. I stuffed my face like


and enjoyed the friends that had gathered in the home. Seriously, I gazed upon the plates and gave a mental hallelujah.

How I looked on the outside:

Yeah, looks great!

How I felt on the inside:

*melts with joy*

Now, after such a delicious and filling meal, I'm laying on the couch with a full belly--


Almost positive that a thief/murderer has been hiding somewhere in the house for the past two days just waiting for me to let my guard down--but I will not, I refuse. Sometimes I hear a creak and think, "This is it. This is how I die." Or I walk into a room--especially the bathroom--and look for the best place to hide if the murderer comes in. I'm a high-functioning adult, I promise. 

Anyways, I'm peacefully enjoying my second-to-last Shabbat here in Israel. Hope you are all enjoying the beginning of your weekend wherever you are in this beautiful world. 

With so much love,
Aubs

No comments:

Post a Comment