Friday 28 August 2015

(This Isn't) The End

This is absolutely surreal. I can't believe it. I'm sitting in Ben Gurion International Airport right now getting ready to board my flight to Boston via Toronto. After exactly three months (I left California on May 28th), I am returning home.

But what even is home? For the first seventeen years of my life, home was California, Anaheim Hills, my family, my pets. Then, two years ago, Harvard became my home as well; Boston garnered my affection, and I missed my friends to death whenever I went back to California. That's when I first began to understand home is not a building and it is not a city--home is in the hearts and arms of the people you love. And that is why I know that Israel has become my third home.

I've left pieces of my heart scattered around this country. In Haifa and the breathtaking Carmel Mountains. In Capernaum on the Sea of Galilee. But most of all, I have left my heart with the Morrises, and the Starks, and the Wiels, and all the other families and friends I've met and grown to love in Raanana. I am so blessed to have had an experience that makes saying goodbye to a land and a people so hard.

But hey, this isn't all sappy and sad and cute, because hello, international travel is involved, which gets messy. Luckily, I had a wonderful day yesterday with the family in my last few hours in Israel. We ate dinner, watched TV, laughed at YouTube videos, stalked Jeni's Laker Girl days online, and had some emotional, heartwarming moments, including the reading of a beautiful and touching poem that Esther wrote for me.

I woke up this morning to say final goodbyes to Sarah, who brought me mini hallah bread to celebrate Shabbat on the plane (literally the cutest), Goody and Eric, who took care of me and fed me while the Morrises were gone, and the whole family. It was tearful for sure.

My mom and Jeni drove me to Ben Gurion with only like three wrong turns, which is pretty solid. I stepped into the airport this morning with four bags (yes, four, don't judge) and tried to roll/push/drag all of these bags through security. Of course, I broke my toe yesterday (not exaggerating) and I'm super sad, because duh I'm leaving, so I'm limping and crying as I roll up with my baggage, both literal and emotional. I walk up to the main guy and he starts interrogating me. Not questioning--interrogating. 

So I'm telling him my name, my destination, yada yada, and then he either starts getting very curious or very suspicious because the questions get a little pointed.

"Who did you stay with?"

*cue sobs*

Me: "The Morrises."

Him: "What are their names? Do they have kids?"

*gasping for air*

Me: "Ronnie, Esther, Michal, Ariella, Nava, Atara, Akiva, and Orit."

Okay at this point, if I can rattle off eight Jewish names without blinking, you'd think they'd let me through. But noooo of course not.

Him: "What were you doing here? "

Me: "Research at IDC Herzliya."

Him: "What was the research on?"

Me in my head: "Ohhhhh I've got him now!!!!!" 

Me out loud: "Counterterrorism."

Mhm that's right, what now

But he doesn't look like he's buying it. He literally looks at me like this--


So then you guys--oh my god I'm about to crack up writing this--he's like "So did you know Hebrew before you came? Do you know any now?"

I swear to God, I got all proud. I was like--


and I kinda scoffed, "well I mean I'm not fluent or anything--" and I was literally about to start giving him my vocabulary when he moved onto another question. What was I thinking?!!!!?? I literally know how to say yes, no, and hallah; did I think I was going to convince him I was Israeli!!!?? (Even though I clearly am.)

But what was weird and kinda laughable was this guard's confusion at my reason for being here. He realized I didn't know Hebrew and wasn't Jewish, and he could not understand why I'd come. And I just kinda wanted to be like, dude!! Israel is freaking LEGIT, of course I'd come here!!


But I didn't want to get on his bad side even more so I kept quiet. 

So then he's literally talking to all these people all over carrying my passport with him, and I'm just standing there. He finally comes back and says, "all right Aubrey, follow me."

I literally almost broke down again--extra screening?! Really?!!!

So I corral my four bags, and try to follow him (he was walking so fast), and guess what--HE BROUGHT ME TO THE FRONT OF THE LINE. LITERALLY HELPED ME BYPASS EVERYONE. I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT. I COULDN'T BREATHE. 

He looked at me like--


And said, "have a safe flight" then handed me off to the security counter.

And I was like, 


You're probably like, "why the heck did you get priority?" and I wish I could reply,


But in reality, Jeni knew someone in Israeli TSA (literally Jeni just hooks me the eff up) and he promised to try and help me.

Of course, I didn't bypass everything they still had to check all of my carry-ons (oh welp, there's my underwear) and check everything for bomb residue (even my Bible--seriously), but I got through and got coffee and was able to try and hold back my tears in peace. I'm scared because what if I cry and they think I'm guilty about something and question me more. So I'm like 

No no no, I'm fine, I'm fine

As I wait for my flight, this is a great time to say thank you. Thank you to the Morrises, for treating me like a daughter and a sister. Thank you to every individual who has made this an eye-opening, fascinating, once-in-a-lifetime summer. And thank you to every person who has read this blog, or thought of me, or prayed for me while I've been abroad. And don't be too sad--I'm studying abroad next spring in India, Brazil, and South Africa, so Aubrey's Wanderlust will be back and ready next January!! Until then, I'll update with any mini trips I take this semester and I'll give you the lowdown on the Stoddard Costa Rica Trip in a few months. Thank you so much, everyone, for all of your love and support.

This isn't the end.

Shalom, and go in peace,
Aubrey Noelle


No comments:

Post a Comment