Friday 21 August 2015

The First of the Lasts

Just finished up my last Shabbat dinner in Israel, and yesterday was my last day of my internship--can you believe it?

Before beginning my last day, though, the Stark family (holla, at you Sarah, ily) and Atara were arriving at Ben Gurion International Airport, and, in addition to it being my last day, it was Sarah's birthday!! The Morris family woke up super early to decorate the Stark household and cook a delicious breakfast. I set my alarm for 6 AM... Then sat for an hour and a half due to the delayed plane. I basically fell asleep sitting up--

waiting like

After a lovely surprise (and an amazing gift of some trashy magazines from Sarah), I went in for my final day of Institute for Counter-Terrorism research on Thursday, slightly nostalgic. I put on a sad face, exhibiting my nostalgia and reluctance to leave....


But the sadness was a front.


To be honest, I was just so excited to wrap up this amazing experience, check off my accomplishment, and kick back to relax with the family (and two very special visitors arriving tomorrow!!!).

They're the best, you guys. I have so much fun with them. I honestly don't know what I'm gonna do without them once I leave.

I woke up this morning to a quiet house.


I honestly thought they might have abandoned me. I felt like Sid the sloth.


But it turns out everyone was just really jetlagged and sleeping in. So I wasn't left alone, thank God.

I spent the day preparing Shabbat food with Esther, watching Orit dance and perform for us, and preparing flower bouquets. Shabbat dinner was delicious and lovely; I even told some really hilarious jokes that people almost giggled at. I'm kinda almost part of the fam (:

Tomorrow is my last Israeli Shabbat, which about kills me inside. No more fresh hallah, which tbh is the best bread in the world.



No more Hebrew prayers--I mean, do I understand the words? Of course not, but I basically know the rhythms now.



No more benching and candles. SO SAD. 

But I'll probs end up going back to Harvard Hillel and celebrating Shabbat with everyone and I'll end up being a better Jew than all of them. I'll be like, "um excuse me did you wash? Then why are you speaking before we break hallah. Ignorant. Ugh."


The traditions have become so comfortable and homey to me, as has Israel. I plan on spending this last Shabbat really reflecting on the amazing times I've had in this beautiful country and the fulfilling relationships I've formed.

Shabbat Shalom, dear friends,
Aubrey

No comments:

Post a Comment