Wednesday 19 August 2015

They're Baaaaack

Yes!!! It's true!!! My family is back!!!!


I woke up at 4 AM to the first blaring house alarm of the day--but I was actually EXCITED. I heard Orit begin her yells of joy, and it put the hugest smile on my face. Then I went straight back to sleep.

I woke up at a godlier hour, put on some clothes then ran straight upstairs to greet those I'd missed so much. And I arrived upon a terrifying but wonderful sight. After being completely alone for five or so days, coming upon a scene of frantic unpacking was like--


But in the most wondrous way possible, I promise. I finally had people around!!! And--almost as amazing as the company--

Food in the oven?!

Snacks on the table!???!

It was like I hadn't yet woken up and was still in a beautiful, beautiful dream.


Orit presented me with all of the "gifts" she'd "purchased" for me in America--including an opened bag of chips and some items from my own room that I have definitely had for years. But I made sure to thank her profusely anyway for her generosity. 

I went to work for my second to last day, but honestly you can only look at the dozens and dozens of splintered terrorist groups that announce themselves on Facebook for a few hours til you wanna barf. Why?


So around one, I figured--


And stuffed my face trying to make my worries disappear. While that, of course, wasn't completely successful, the much needed sustenance sufficiently carried me through the rest of the afternoon. I got on the bus around 5 to get back home to my lovely, crowded, loud, bustling home.

I was put in charge of Orit and Akiva for the night while the older Morrises went to parties and weddings. At first when they asked me to babysit, I was like--


Then I realized that a schedule of sleeping, Army Wives, and reading Hillary Clinton's Hard Choices wasn't exactly super pressing. So I had a wonderful night chatting with Akiva about his trip and his future and his beliefs while frantically loading cartoons on an iPad for a restless Orit and watching her dance and sing.

Around 10 or so, we retreated upstairs into the master bedroom to start settling into sleep. So relaxing... I started to drift off.

Then.

The house alarm went off. 


NBD, though, right? Because it was obviously just the Morris parents coming home.

Only the alarm didn't go off. Akiva and I looked at eachother slightly panicked and he whispered, "that's the house alarm." 

We crept to the master bedroom door, peeked out as the alarm continued to blare, and came to the conclusion that a murderer had entered the household.

*in my head*

I surreptitiously locked the master bedroom door, and Akiva and I crept back to the bed. I paused Orit's TV show and as she started to whine, I very sternly and rationally told her, "ORIT THERE IS SOMEONE IN THE HOUSE AND WE NEED TO BE QUIET." I probably scarred her for life, but she definitely got silent.

I calmly told Akiva to call his parents and ask what we should do next. Then put my hand on Orit to reassure her.

On the outside:


On the inside:




Akiva breathlessly asked his parents what we should do now that we'd locked the door and protected ourselves from the murderer/thief. He suddenly took a huge sigh of relief and hung up. "Nava just got home."

Sure enough, Nava had arrived and didn't feel like turning off the code, so she'd just let it keep going.

"Hahaha were you scared??!!" She asked.

"Me?? OMG no not even a little!!"

as a single tear rolls down my cheek

That was honestly all the excitement I could handle for a single night. The Morris family might be dealing with jet lag, but I have the much more difficult task of relearning how to interact with other human beings. Just in time for my final day of work tomorrow--wahoo!! Well, I am now going to sleep. because as the best babysitter in the history of ever, I quite think I deserve it.

Toodaloo my loves,
Aubrey

PS In case you feel like you're the only person on the planet reading this humble lil blog, I promise you're not. Here are some of your fellow humans (slash maybe dogs? that'd be my dream, a literate canine choosing to read my blog) that have joined you (just over the last week!) in accompanying me on my journey. Love you all!

United States
170
United Kingdom
47
Netherlands
34
Romania
23
India
14
Australia
11
Germany
11
Honduras
10
Israel
9
Canada
6

No comments:

Post a Comment