Monday 6 July 2015

Because It's Monday

What is something you desperately require if you're writing a research paper that requires about a hundred online sources, fifteen word documents, and some bumpin' music to crank out the pages to?

That's right. A computer.

Well, I'm currently in a fight with my computer. I don't know if she/he is having a tantrum or if I mortally offended him/her, but we are not on good terms.

Here's just a list of what has had to be replaced in the two years since I've had my laptop:
- The battery
- The hard drive
- The charger

Here's what is currently broken on my computer:
- The left speaker (nice)
- The touchpad
- All of my USB ports (aka I can't plug in a mouse and use that anymore)

Now listen. My dad taught me how to use an item until it literally falls apart. He didn't feel like buying a Bluetooth for his phone, so he decided to glue velcro on the back of it and stick it onto another velcro strip that he glued to his sun visor. He drove his ratty old minivan until it stalled and died in the middle of an intersection. I KNOW how to make something last until the end.

It's the end.

My laptop is dying.

And at first, I was dealing with it.


Especially not in front of my coworkers who already think I'm a crazy cat lady. 

But then, after exiting out of all of the tabs I'd opened, or trying for an hour to fix my USB ports so I can plug in my stupid retro mouse, it started.


Or maybe this is more accurate...

Okay I'll try to calm down. *cries*

YES I MADE MYSELF A GIF OKAY, DON'T JUDGE. But really, I was able to control myself, but JEEZ, can't a girl get a working laptop??!!! He/she is behaving her/himself for the moment, but I know that there will be a dramatic turn in mood in the next like three seconds. These are the times I wish I could just throw my hands in the air, hand my laptop to my dad (who'd ideally be in the next room over), and go hang out with my dogs until he miraculously fixes it or admits defeat and buys me a new one. Instead, I'm in a foreign country and I just have to try my hardest to use my mouse as little as possible. I've gotten really good at keyboard shortcuts. (endorse me for that on LinkedIn, please).

But my day got infinitely better once I got back home. We had another beach dinner and arrived on the sand about an hour before sunset. It was stunning.

Wow

That's Orit, the youngest daughter, standing on the edge of the water! We watched the sun sink below the horizon--and I got some pictures taken of myself, of course.


Right as the sun is kissing the water

The last reflections

I watched with serenity as the sun left Israel to go warm the days and shoulders of my family and friends back in the US. Time difference is something I'll never get used to--especially a 10-hour gap from my loved ones. It's really difficult not being able to even call my parents or sisters when something is on my mind or I have a question. Going away to the East Coast definitely made me realize that physical proximity is a luxury, but now I'm realizing that immediate access to the voices and words and ears of my family are a gift as well. I'll never take them for granted again.

I'm back home now, coaxing my laptop's happy spell to last through this post. I have work tomorrow, but I'll be spending the weekend exploring Israel. Very excited!

Enjoy the sun, my friends,
Aubs





No comments:

Post a Comment