Sunday 12 July 2015

Meeting Michael Oren

After I finished my post last night, I was asked by my host family if I'd like to go attend a talk with Michael Oren. Mr. Oren, a fellow historian, served as Israel's ambassador to America from 2009 to 2013 and now serves in the Knesset, Israel's parliament. He recently released a new book, Ally, discussing the American-Israeli alliance.

Books, wahoo!


The talk was held at my host family's friends' home right down the street. We all sat outside under the stars snacking, drinking, and listening to an unbelievably intelligent Israeli American.

How adorable are these cookies?

The talk with Mr. Oren enlightened and inspired me. He discussed his experiences in America, his ideas on improvement, and current events. I found that I am now invested in Middle Eastern affairs in a way I never was before. I desire to fix the problems, to apply my growing expertise to issues that I could impact. I think this new-found investment comes both from my burgeoning interest in politics and my deepening relationships with and affection for so many Israelis.

Michael Oren speaking

I loved that I could finally listen to in-depth conversation about current events and pertinent politics and I actually understand more than half of what was being said!!! (Huge deal, guys.) Not only am I spending hours a day actually studying the history of the United States' involvement in the Middle East for work, but I'm also travelling to the places that are talked about the news, reading non--fiction books about it, living it. I'm fully immersed. Which is pretty much the coolest experience ever for someone who was always interested in the subject but never an expert. 

Hi there, Mr. Oren

I was so lucky to discuss with Mr. Oren why I'm here and what I'm interested in. He actually taught at Harvard for a few semesters and did a ton of research for his book at the university that hosts my internship! So our lives intersect in a few cool ways.

This pic will probs end up in my future memoirs, if I can figure out a way to photoshop my frizz

Sarah Stark (she's wearing black in the above picture) is basically one of the best people I've met here in Israel and is also one of the members of "The Bachelorette" Viewing Clique that gathers in the Morris household every Tuesday (we're very worldly). She bought me one of the books as a gift, and Mr. Oren signed it! It read, "To Aubrey: A future leader of America and Israel's historic alliance with America. Michael Oren"

Like, are you kidding me? That's pretty much the coolest thing ever. I was like, omg me, what, no, really?


Anyways, I left the talk feeling so inspired and so excited to contribute in my small way to such an important cause. I got to work, continued writing my paper--and realized that one of my sources for my paper is by Michael Oren! Ugh, so cool.

My experiences here in Israel get more amazing every single day. I am just so lucky!

Signed,
A future leader of America (;





No comments:

Post a Comment