Thursday 30 July 2015

Easy, Not So Breezy Eilat

Kajsa and I spent the day in Eilat, the southernmost city in Israel on the borders of Jordan and Egypt! It was relaxing and beachy and UNBELIEVABLY hot--but getting here was a not-so-welcome adventure.

I had a bus fiasco this morning because duh of course I would, and I ended up showing up for our 5-hour bus to Eilat THREE MINUTES before its departure!! I was so freaking frazzled, but we made it, and I figured that would be the end of the daily drama for transportation.

But life had other plans and was like--


I was seated next to a little boy, maybe 6 years old, who kept yelling and getting out of his seat and being so obnoxious. I'm sitting there like, child, WHERE is your mother to whoop your ass? That's when I knew a) I was raised correctly because the second I even THOUGHT  about stepping out of line, my mother was like--


And I was like,

"What, me, no nothing??..."

And--

b) I'm gonna have the best behaved children on earth, because my children even think the words "what if I..." I will be like--

I figured this mother needed some assistance in whoopin some sense into this boy, but I refrained. For FIVE HOURS. I kept thinkin,


And I think it was only my proximity to the Holy Land that helped me to pass. 

But that wasn't all. At a short rest stop, I lost track of time (maybe since the driver only said the time limit in HEBREW), but after getting cut in line by a soldier with a loaded AK 47 (I wasn't about to question him), being told that the frozen mochas weren't quite ready yet (at 12:30 in the afternoon) and struggling to order some fries at a McDonald's, the ENTIRE BUS was waiting me for me and Kajsa was literally fighting with the driver to make him sit for me a few more seconds. Honestly I shouldve been embarrassed, but I was so frazzled and hungry, I sauntered on like--


And I ate my McFlurry like I had all the time in the world. 

The views, though, were beautiful. 



Beautiful, barren desert. I'm not being sarcastic either--it was stark and intimidating and STUNNING! 

And finally--after 5 hours--


Wahoo!!! Kajsa and I walked a short four minutes to our funky hostel--



--which has lots of abstract art and sculptures that either honor or make fun of religion... I can't quite tell which one. 

Kajsa and I then made our way to the beach in weather that almost cures me of my New England winter PTSD...



WOW. We waded a lot in the Red Sea, which was actually very chilly and perfectly refreshing. Kajsa thought she was gonna melt/pass out; I thought I'd died and gone to a burning heaven.




That last pic is me trying to part the sea--didn't quite work!!

Kajsa and I grabbed dinner, and befriended our waiter, Fauud, who gave us his number in case we felt like raging. Thanks, Fauud, but no thanks. 

It's now 11:30 PM and still about 100 degrees. Thank GOD our room has AC!!!

Tomorrow, we cross the border into Jordan--gonna be amazing!

Tanned and not quite toned after all that pita,
Burnin' Up Aubs

1 comment:

  1. Glad you were able to restrain yourself and you didn't discipline that out-of-control little boy. But I do have one question - why am I always depicted as a crazy black woman?

    ReplyDelete