Friday 3 July 2015

Somewhere Beyond the Sea

The title might be slightly misleading, since I don't have any lover beyond the sea standing on golden sand--except, maybe, America, who probably misses me bunches as she prepares for the Fourth, which is my second favorite holiday behind Thanksgiving. ANYWAYS, this song just felt like the soundtrack to my day, as I explored the seaside of Tel Aviv and waded in the Mediterranean.

It started with a stroll through the Tel Aviv "shuk," or the flea market.
It was a much quieter, calmer version of the Turkish Grand Bazaar and actually reminded me a lot of Downtown LA. They had some pretty awesome shops--



But I didn't actually buy anything. It was enough to just enjoy the sights and sounds--and the numerous rude people who stopped in the crowded walkway to check a text or just take a rest. I basically sprint when I walk, and these obstructions had me like


 But finally, I got to the beach and was able to relax. Cue Bobby Darin and Kevin Spacey!

So stunning.

The casual siren on the beach in case we get bombed

DOGS ON THE BEACH, IT IS A DREAM COME TRUE.

I continued to walk on the shore towards Old Jaffa, which is apparently the oldest seaport in the world and one of the oldest Christian settlements in the world as well. I walked along the shore to that beautiful tannish city you can see in the background--


PSA: wear shoes with a grip--I slipped way too many times on these bricks!

Jaffa is unbelievably stunning. It is built with this smooth tan brick and has numerous gardens and sculptures scattered throughout the small city. It looks over the Mediterranean and Tel Aviv with stunning views.

Tel Aviv from the Old City of Jaffa

One of the oldest Christian churches in Israel and possibly the world, St. Peter's church is unique, because unlike most churches, which are built towards the east, St. Peter's is built towards the west overlooking the Mediterranean towards Rome, where Peter is considered the first pope.

St. Peter's Church

A panorama of the City Square

Before Israelites inhabited Jaffa, it was ruled by the Canaanites, so remnants of old mythology remain. One of these old remnants is the Zodiac Fountain, which features the twelve zodiac signs. Apparently, if you make a wish, it will come true immediately--so of course, I had to make a wish!


Another view of the water and city!

 The famous Clocktower Square in Jaffa


I spent about an hour on the beach and in the water relaxing after my hard day of sightseeing. As I stood on a sidewalk corner, waiting for the green light, I heard a hearty--and abysmally accented--"Shalom!" I looked over to see a nice looking, very American guy so I smiled and responded. We got to chatting, and it turned out he was just finishing up his Birthright trip. Many college-aged American Jews will come to Israel for an all-expenses paid trip to see the state of their ancestors. He assumed I was one of these vacationers as well, and was shocked--and pretty impressed--to find out I wasn't Jewish. (lol). Anyways, I told him what I was doing and where I was going to school, and he literally started rattling off names of people he knows that go to Harvard--and I knew so many of them! The networking quality of my university will never cease to amaze me. Literally, I'm halfway across the world, and randomly I meet someone who can list some of my closest friends at school. UNBELIEVABLE.

I headed back home and had to transfer buses a short ways from my final destination. I sat for about ten minutes, waiting for the 29 bus to pick me up. I watched the bus come.... And I watched it drive right past me.

Yeah, no, it's totally fine, I'll just walk.

I schlepped back to the house and collapsed into bed. We had a lovely dinner to start off our Shabbat, and I plan on going to sleep right.. about.. now. It's been a wonderful, but exhausting day, and I'm ready to get some rest!!

Toodles,
No More Sailin' Aubs

No comments:

Post a Comment