Friday 17 July 2015

Haifa, Horses, and Hiking

One of my favorite and most fulfilling days in Israel so far. Kajsa and I started the morning off early(ish) and hopped on the bus to the Baha'i Shrine and gardens... Where we were promptly admonished for our "revealing" clothing and we had to ride back to our hostel and change into something that covered our legs and shoulders. We walked away like,


I mean, I totally understand the respect for the religion, I do. But ugh, the hostel was SOOOO FARRRRR. It ended up being worth it for these beautiful views...



 It honestly felt like being in front of a backdrop. The entire place was aesthetic and peaceful; it exuded the feeling of 'paradise.' So stunning.


We got to go inside the shrine behind me in the above picture; it's the second holiest site for the Baha'i faith, which is the youngest religion in the world.

Exquisite statuary dotted the English-style, orderly, and colorful gardens. So stunning.

From the gardens, we went to the Carmel National Park for our unbelievable, stunning, and VERY long hike.


These pictures were all taken along the red trail, in a little patch called Little Switzerland.


I've never been to Switzerland, but if it's anything like this, count me in!!!


Because I crave/require animal companionship, I spent some time with horses from a random stable we encountered.


Yes I'm allergic to horses, and yes I got hives, but #worthit.

We crossed from the red trail to the black trail, and came across a memorial for the Carmel Fire victims from 2010.

We continued our hike to an ancient Roman quarry--


And bought some unbelievably delicious cheese crepe concoctions from a random stand on the side of the trail.


We hiked to the "year-round spring," which looked like this in July...


Classic.

We ended up getting really lost on this trail--it was supposed to be a 4 hour hike and it'd been a little over 5 hours. So... We hitch hiked.


Hitch hiking is SUPER common and acceptable in Israel, so it wasn't a crazy thing for us to do. Plus, Kajsa and I TOTALLY could've taken the guy.

We were dropped off at a gas station to get some money for a bus ticket, but plot twist, the gas station had no ATM, and DOUBLE PLOT TWIST, ITS FRIDAY AND THERE ARE NO BUSES.


So we trudged about another hour along the street, poor children with no money and sore feet. I only complained a little.... Lol ya right. For a straight hour, I was like--


And Kajsa had to deal with me until we got a taxi.

I took a shower, which was heavenly, but discovered I had a backpack and shorts tan... Not so heavenly.

We got iced coffee and dinner and chatted for about 2 hours, just relaxing after the long day. Tomorrow... Another hike!!

Can't wait to explore this stunning place a little more. I didn't realize until leaving home how necessary nature is to me and my well-being. Living on the edge of a state-protected canyon with abundant wildlife apparently isn't normal... I love how travelling forces you to evaluate what you need in life. And now I know that I will uncompromisingly need a little wild in my life, or at least a car to drive me to a place where I can shed my responsibilities and stress to get in touch with the sun, the air, the world, and God.

Wooo nature!

Lovin life,
Explorer/Tree-Hugger Aubrey

No comments:

Post a Comment