Friday 31 July 2015

Welcome to Jordan: Petra

Kajsa and I began our Jordanian adventure bright and early this morning! We were shooed out of our hostel into the 100-degree heat around 6:30 AM and met with our driver, who took us to the Jordanian border. 


While Jordan and Israel do currently have an uneasy peace, the remnant tension from past wars lingers between the barbed wire outposts in the middle of the desert. Kajsa and I pretty much zoomed through the Israeli side--we ARE practically natives, after all--and we made it to no-man's-land with no problems. We had to walk the 60 meters between the two countries, as no cars are allowed through (as far as I know).

Foreboding!

We were ordered to get rid of all food and drinks between the countries... But I wasn't about to get rid of my freaking fruit leather strips!! A girl's gotta eat! 

So, my bag is rolling through this X-Ray machine, and a twenty-something Jordanian soldier is smoking a cig and eying me suspiciously, and I'm just like--


Of course, I passed through, and snacked on some gummies to celebrate. 

Then there was the two hour wait for our tour guide to actually show up and shepherd us through the crossing... Impatient Aubs gets a tiiiiiny bit sassy, so when our guide finally showed up frazzled blaming traffic, I was like--


But--the wait was entirely worth it. The drive through the Jordanian desert was stark, and towering, and breathtaking. I've never seen a landscape this dynamic and intimidating. And, just some cool historical context, this is where Moses and the Jews wandered during their Exodus!!


I witnessed numerous things on the journey. Wild herds of camels roamed the side of the road (I about died). Men actually DO wear those checkered head coverings (I sincerely thought it was a Hollywood dramatization--it's like going to Texas for the first time and seeing guys wear cowboy hats and boots and being like OMG). 

I got to taste the most delectable olive oil of my life. 

And I listened to our hysterical and overly candid tour guide explain Jordanian culture. He insisted that religious women do not engage in "maneuvers" before marriage because "imagine a man walking into a phone store and they hand him a used phone--blech--you wouldn't want that." I was simulatenously disgusted, horrified, and entertained. 

After this eventful two-hour drive from the border, we arrived at one of the Seven Wonders of the New World: the lost city of Petra!

Built around the turn of the era (aka like 1 AD) by the Nebatians, this city was carved into the red stone of the Jordanian desert. While there are numerous homes that remain, most of the structures are actually unbelievably grand tombs. This culture's emphasis on the afterlife ensured that every individual--including the slaves--found their resting place in rocky tombs. Wow. 


 There's a seamless merging of nature and construction, humanity's will to be remembered and the earth's everlastingness, that I'd never witnessed before. I walked around the entire time with my mouth dropped open.


The main entrance to the most recognizable tomb was called "The Gorge."



The beauty of this place cannot be captured by photographs. But one of the final stops--the Treasury of Petra--almost brought me to my knees with its magnificence and the feat of its engineering. 


Just... WOW. Contrary to its name, this structure hid no money and is just a tomb for a royal family (or so they want you to think....)


From the beautiful city of Petra, we embarked on another long drive to the Wadi Rum desert, where Kajsa, numerous other guests, and I will be staying in a Bedouin camp. Bedouins are nomads who used to trek across the Arabian deserts but have begun to settle down and build towns and villages in the past few decades. Our digs are adorable.

And we hope to catch sight of tomorrow's sunrise from this campside mountain after a good night's rest!


So far, I've loved Jordan. The people, the geography, and the history have bewitched me. Can't wait for tomorrow to explore the desert and the cities!

Your favorite world traveler,
Aubrey

No comments:

Post a Comment