Thursday 16 July 2015

Exploring Haifa

Today began my three-day journey in and around the third largest city in Israel--Haifa! Haifa sits on a Mediterranean bay in northern Israel, carved into the cliffs of the seaside mountains. Over the last 12 hours, it's become my favorite city in all of Israel.

Kajsa and I took the train from Herzliya (the city in which my internship is based) and hopped off at Haifa Port.


After a quick walk up the main street into the German Colony (random, right?), we found our pristine, very homey hostel, Al Yajhour Hostel. This hostel was actually founded by Palestinians, which makes this one of my first real experiences with Israeli Arabs as opposed to Israeli Jews. A little change of pace!

Kajsa and I got some food, then headed up the mountain to see the world-famous Baha'I Gardens and Shrine.


So stunning. Unfortunately, we arrived a little after visiting hours were over, so we will head back to see the entire grounds tomorrow before hiking!

But we still got a sneak peek (:

From the gardens, we went to my favorite place of all... THE ZOO. Yes, I found ANOTHER Israeli zoo to go to, and yes it had the most ridiculous lack of security I've ever seen. One guy was throwing pieces of food to a monkey in an enclosure to watch it catch the food. I was like,


But like, really.


I wanted to pet it, but I didn't. I promise. Seriously, the whole time I was thinkin, where is the


I found some beautiful animals, because duh--

Lions

Tigers

Bears

And one of my favorite Mediterranean views thus far--

Oh my!

A wave of homesickness swelled up in my heart. It was so remniscient of San Diego, or SoCal in general, that it just brought back my love for my state and home. I sure do love California, guys. But still, seeing this stunning green oasis with the sparkling water at the end of the valley filled me with comfort--maybe if I squinted and ignored all the Hebrew, I could pretend I was back in the Golden State. 

From the zoo, we found a nice view of the city--


Then grabbed some sushi for dinner--

 Found a nice, albeit idiot, cat to spend our meal with--
Then explored the city of Haifa, eventually coming to the shore right after sunset. We watched the lights twinkle across the bay and anchored boats settle in the waves, and we agreed this was the most beautiful city we'd come across thus far.

Upon arrival at our hostel, we found Arab music playing and delicious food being served. The gracious party host/hostel owner offered us all the food we wanted (for free), and I was like--


Into the bread and chicken. I may not have a ton of talents travelling, but I can find a pretty amazing hostel. Stunning rooftop views, free food... I def know how to pick em.

I'm getting to bed so I have energy for our 5 hour hike and hours of exploration tomorrow!

Much love,
Haifa-fanatic Aubs


No comments:

Post a Comment