Tuesday 14 July 2015

Goodbyes Abound

The past few days have been full of farewells, to both people and to the first half of summer.

You went so soon...

On Saturday, host father Ronnie left for a week of work in the US, follow on Sunday by Nava (the host daughter closest to me in age), who left for a week-long retreat. Atara (my fellow "Friends" and Harry Potter fanatic) departed for America for summer camp (still jealous about camp, ugh), so it looks like I'll be watching Ross and Rachel reruns all by my lonesome.


It's been sad--like I've said, they've become family, and as they depart, I feel like pieces of my new home leave with them. For now, it's Esther (mom), Orit (youngest daughter), and Michal (oldest daughter, frantically studying for finals--she's still in school!!!) with me in the four-story home in Raanana. Pretty quiet, as I'm sure you can imagine--but Orit still keeps us on our toes.

The first of the interns to depart came into the office for his last day today.

Charlieeeee

From here on out, at least one intern will leave every week. How did the weeks fly by so quickly!?!

All the interns and our director

I can't believe it. I'm exactly halfway through my time in Israel, and I still feel like I have so much to do and see... I'll definitely be making the most of the next few weeks as I travel up, down, and across this beautiful country.

In the meantime, I'm reaching the end of my first paper draft. So much of my conclusion depended upon the outcome of the Iranian nuclear deal, so I spent more time than I'd like to admit sitting at work waiting for the end of negotiations that is two years overdue.

Me to Secretary of State John Kerry

I actually literally tweeted at the White House, not so subtly asking them to get a move on.

Yes I actually tweeted this

This morning, a deal was reached as soon as I walked into work, and I was over the moon--wahoo, I can finish my paper! Then... I remembered that many people around the world--and basically every Israeli--have called this deal "a historic mistake" that could result in global annihilation. At that point, my celebration looked a little more like this.

yay...??

I should be finishing my first draft by next week, which leaves me over a month to edit... By the end, I'll be second-guessing every period and semicolon I included.

One more day of work, then it's the weekend--and that's something worth celebrating.

Cheers,
Aubs

No comments:

Post a Comment